I used to love eating that popular Christmas peppermint bark, until the dreadful knowledge of reading the ingredients nearly made me choke.
So here is my twist on a healthy and just as sweet version, gluten-free Christmas bark that will have the kids asking for more. Beware to those of us who are in touch with our inner kid, don’t be a meanie and eat the last one!
1 cup soaked almonds (learn more)
2 cups strongly brewed coffee (learn more)
1/4 cup chia seeds (learn more)
3 tablespoons coconut oil (learn more)
3 tablespoons coconut manna (learn more)
2-3 tablespoons raw honey (learn more)
2 teaspoons almond extract
3 tablespoons of coffee
1/2 cup chocolate chips (learn more)
1/4 teaspoon coconut oil
1/2 cup of dried raspberries, crushed
1. Soak almonds over night in 2 cups of coffee, keeping jar in the refrigerator.
2. Next day-In a food processor, add soaked almonds, 3 tablespoons of coffee from soaked nuts.
3. Add coconut manna, oil, honey, chia seeds, and almond extract.
4. Puree ingredients, taste mixture and add more honey if needed. Pulse and process 5 min. till creamy.
5. On a cookie sheet with wax paper spread out mixture flat so it’s 6″x 8″ and 1/4″ thick.
6. Melt chocolate and spread evenly over the top of nut mixture. Press raspberry pieces on top.
7. Put in the freezer for at least 20 minutes and cut into squares. Keep left overs in the fridge.
You can soak almonds in just water and or use coffee extract. I always use decaf coffee for myself and for the children’s sake. When soaking nuts use a glass jar that has enough room for almonds to expand, at least an inch left at the top works best. If you don’t have coconut manna (get some you will love it), you can always use almond butter. Be sure to stir the oils in your jar of coconut manna or almond butter. I sometimes pour some out. This helps to achieve a creamy texture. If you want to add crushed candy canes on top for a traditional bark recipe instead of the raspberries that would be yummy too! Be sure to buy the healthier option of candy canes that don’t have artificial colors and flavors.
With a bite full of health,